Colt seems to have his days and nights mixed up.....wow is that ever fun. He sleeps really well all day and then 11pm rolls in and it's fuss time. Any suggestions about how to reverse that? Go ahead and post if you know......we see the ped tomorrow so I will also ask her. I have been reading and I think the key, it seems, is to wake him up more often during the day. Forgive me if I don't post everyday, I am going to try and follow everyone's advice which is to sleep when he is sleeping starting tomorrow! I need a nap! But I will keep the updates coming as I know more other than the boring eating/sleeping/pooping routine.
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Mixed Up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Oh, fun...the mixed up days/nights - it sucks. Everyone's different but with both Anthony & Kaylee we had to wake them up every two hours during the day so that they were fully awake and then try to feed them. It only took a few days and pretty soon they were tired enough to start sleeping their long stretches durning the night time. Hope that helps, it's very frustrating when you're tired and they're fussy and awake. You've gotten the best advice already though, as hard as it is to do - sleep when he sleeps! Everything else will wait.
Kisses to Colt!
Love,
Jon, Nicole, Anthony & Kaylee
yep, waking hin up during the day is a good idea. i was thinking too...do you have some kind of noise maker by him at night? one that has a heart beat or sings lullabies? cuz he's so used to the noise of the nicu he probably sleeps well during the day with around-the-house noise. just a thought. he'll get used to it all. it's probably alot more shocking to his system than we realize. have a great day.
love, johanna
One thing that helped me was to take the baby out into the natural sun light for about 15 minutes in the middle of the day (hard to do in the Seattle area), but the sun helps for some reason. I agree with Jo on the noise. Once I put a lullaby CD on in Marcus' room for every bedtime, naps and all, it helped him start sleeping at night. I think every parent can empathize right now. Hope you get some rest.
Bless your heart. Sleep when he sleeps is gonna be your best bet. You'll get the "routine" thing down, it'll take a while. Kai's a 3 year old and I still sometimes nap with him. Boys are full throttle all day. Take time out for you also. I know it sounds crazy just bringing him home, but it will keep you sane. Even just a bath. You'll all figure each other out. Lots of love, Shelby
Sleep when he sleeps! Everything else can wait. Expose him to lots for natural light when he is awake and don't let the naps go too long during the day (unless you are sleeping then all rules are null and void!) Your exhaustion level will affect his mood greatly...so if you can't talk yourself inro resting for your own good...do it for Colt!!!
This is all a major adjustment for everyone...be patient and follow his cues. He will soon settle into a nice routine!
As far as setting a schedule...I had to write down everything, feeding (even which side I nursed from), poops, pee sounds silly but its amazing how stupid you get when your sleep deprived. Your pediatrician will probably like it as well.
PS The dishes, laundry, and cleaning won't go anywhere...they can wait!!!
Jess
Post a Comment