This is the little man during his night time fit (about to get a diaper change, his favorite thing)! I am starting to think maybe colic....the rules of three for colic: 3 hours, at least 3 times a week for 3 weeks (it is only been 2 weeks but we'll see). Our pediatrician said maybe colic too....and plus preemies are also prone to being fussier given all the fun procedures and pain they have had to endure. He has been a tad better tonight....I tried some new things I learned on the internet. Kreg was laughing at me while I made the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound repeatedly as mentioned in the Happiest Baby on the Block series. It worked long enough to get a bottle in him and then that was over. He also has a wicked, and I mean wicked, diaper rash so that doesn't help. The new formula is the culprit of the rash, and hopefully we can get it handled soon.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I'm sorry your little man has colic. I fought admitting my little two had it, but they did for sure. The good news is (hopefully for preemies too) that it subsides at 3 to 4 months. One day you will wake up and realize he isn't crying anymore.. then life gets easier. Good luck. Love the pic.
Angelina
Oh my god! As if you all including colt hasn't been through enough. Well I personally know the crying episodes stopped almost immediatly with kai once given nutramigin. After all this time How does he develop colic? Does it go by "due date" age? God is really testing your patience, huh? Just know it'll go away hopefully soon. What about a little time on his tummy? The doctor insisted not to sleep on their belly, but good ol grandma had different advice and it worked. Maybe just a nap (if your sitting right there) it works out a lot of the gas. Good luck guys. I hate to hear that, poor little guy. xoxo shelby
i'm sorry. that's gotta be so frustrating. i agree with tummy time. i know they advise against it but we'd let her take her naps on her tummy (in the same room with us) and she'd burp those bubbles out and sleep longer. i know it's hard now but at least i can gaurantee it will end. i cant believe he's been home for 2 weeks already...wow!
hope you have a great week.
love, johanna
Oh colic, we never had it but I've heard the horror stories from other Mom's who did. Don't be embarrassed with the 'shhhhhhhhh' thing - I still catch myself trying it every once and a while when the kids are having a melt down. Hey, whatever works, right?! Besides I've heard that they say it mimics the sound they heard in the womb. It worked well when the kids were babies.
As for the tummy time, I agree, that always seemed to help when they were gassy. Also, on their backs and just move his legs, like he's riding a bike. That sometimes helps get it out.
The other thing that we found really helpful with Anthony when he was gassy was to take a damp washcloth and put it in a ziplock baggie, throw it in the microwave for like 10 seconds (play with the time a bit, I'm not sure if it's + or - the ten) you want it warm, not too hot. And then put that on his tummy in between his onsie and his blanket so that it's not directly on his skin. Our pediatrician recommended the warmth to help minimize the gas. It worked really well with Anthony.
The other thing that worked well with both kids is a lullaby cd in their room on repeat. The background music/noise seemed to help them sleep.
I'm sure you've had more advice than you know what to do with but you never know what might work.
Hope it helps!
Kisses to Colt!
Love,
Jon, Nicole, Anthony & Kaylee
shay was the guinnea pig for premmies 13 years ago with colic. They tried her on every formula, and they finally put her on fresh goats milk and that was the only thing that worked for her. No more screaming and tummy aches. I feel for you, but just think of the pain that they are in too. If this formula doesnt work, change it. Good luck!
Post a Comment