Monday, March 3, 2008

Freedom!

Here is our good friend Jennie getting her "Colt Fix" as she so eloquently put it.

Colt is free from the monitor now......crazy and scary! We saw the pulmonologist today (fancy word for lung doctor for those of you like me who had no clue what that meant). He decided that since Colt hasn't had any episodes while at home, that he did not need it any longer. I know I have said that the alarm has sounded a few times, but when it did go off it was always during a feed and it was his heart rate slowing down for a few seconds. He always corrected it himself, never changed colors (I know that sounds scary) and didn't need any assistance of any kind. So those types of alarms were never a concern, just enough to make you jump when it went off. He hadn't had any apnea (stop breathing for 20 seconds) at all at home, and hasn't actually done that in probably three months so we don't need the monitor. I tried to convince him to let me keep it for a little while longer for my own sanity at night...but he talked me out of it. My reasoning was SIDS, because preemies have a slightly elevated risk of SIDS from term babies. But he informed me that a monintor would not save a baby from SIDS. Counter-intuitive you might say, as I did, but he said it would not help in that arena. Colt will get his first professional pictures done this weekend, it was a gift from our friends, the Kordicks (Thanks guys!). Hopefully I can post them on here when we get them back!

2 comments:

Jessica Brueske said...

I need a "Colt fix" too! We have been cold free for several weeks now so any day we'll be over for a fix!!!
He is looking great. Congrats on being monitor free!

Kellars Mommy said...

Have you looked into purchasing a Angel Monitor? I LOVED mine, sure it's not a guarantee but I felt better having it after having to give up Kellars apnea monitor.