Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Kelsey

A post for Kelsey.......

I love this picture. It was the first time Kelsey was able to touch her brother.
The first time she saw him diaper-less.
Just a sweet little moment between the two.
The first time she got to hold him when he came home.

So I have been feeling really sentimental this week as we come up to Colt's first birthday. I put together a slide show that I will post in a few days of his first year, and of course I already cried a few times watching it so beware if you're a sap like me. One thing I really enjoyed seeing, as always, is Kelsey and Colt together. They both just adore each other and I love every minute of it. I thought I would dedicate a post to her today and talk a little about her journey going through this whole thing (obviously from my perspective).
This whole ordeal could not have been easy for a kid to process, because from my point of view it was hard and I was at least able to understand (medically) what was going on. She was always very sure, from the very first day, that he was going to make it. She kept saying over and over, that he was going to be just fine. I just nodded and said, yeah I think so too- even when I didn't really know what to think. The first week of his life, which was by far the worst and scariest, she told me she had a dream about Colt and he was like 9 or 10 in the dream. He was running around (which in itself was at the time hard to imagine since they did at one time tell us he may not be able to walk) and that he was perfectly fine in the dream. She knew that meant it was to become a reality. She drew pictures for his incubator, always wanted to know what was going on....and has ever since been the best big sister ever. She is basically the best step-daughter that anyone can ask for, and even though she isn't really mine- I love her like she is.
For a school project this week she wrote about Colt and said: "My brother was 16 weeks early. He had to be flown down to children's hospital in a helicopter. We thought he was not going to make it. He had to go through many surgeries. People had to give him blood. Finally the nurse said we could take him home. I was at school when that happened. I walked in the door and was so happy that my brother stayed alive through all that hard work.
Seriously, isn't that just adorable. Just one more way that Colt is one lucky kid. Someone is definitely watching out for him!

3 comments:

Kim Case said...

Ok, I must be a huge SAP because I just cried through that post, while listening to "I've got my hands on a miracle. I can hardly see to type this. You all are definatly blessed and I love checking this blog every night. You really do have a wonderful miracle with that guy and he is SO LUCKY to have all of you!!!

Kim Case said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey strangers! I STILL check on him and his progress every morning with my coffee ( its my ritual) He has come so far and is an amazing little guy with such a fighting metality. He has touched so many lives, I can only imagine what he's done for your own. You too nicole are such an inspiration, with your outlook and patience. You give a true definition of motherhood. As we creep up on his first birthday and party, I cant beleive its been a year! See you sunday. LOTS OF LOVE