Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bummer


Today was kind of a bummer. I talked to the doctor today to try and get some kind of an idea when we could go home given the new setback. The doctor who is on this week had a much different plan than the one we spoke with last week. The new story is that he will be there at least two more weeks, and she said.....are you ready for this........he could be there as long as another month (GASP). Needless to say, this took the wind out of my sails. Especially since we had one foot out the door. So I am going to try and see what we can do to get some consistency in our answers, or possibly try to get transferred somewhere closer if 2-4 weeks is realistic. La Jolla is super far. His eye exam went well today. He was very sleepy again. They decided to wait until Monday to do bloodwork, at which time they will decide based on his hematicrit whether or not to give him more blood. He is low on his hematicrit right now, which might explain the sleepiness, but she said she really wants to give him a chance to make some red blood cells on his own before they just step in and do it for him. Still on the every other feed by bottle. OT said he was pushed way too fast on the bottle, which can account for him pooping out.
On another note, I have had so many people ask me about this- I thought I would just post it on the blog since I finally got some answers. A few people wanted to know what it will be like when we do bring him home as far as normal life, visitors, etc. Since Colt's lungs were such an issue in the beginning- he has to be kept under close watch during RSV (viral) season. This season typically ends by May. The doctors have said Colt and I get to become hermits until RSV season is over, because it isn't worth the risk to get hospitalized with respiratory issues as they can be extremely serious in any infant- but even more so for him. We are basically allowed to go to the pediatrician and maybe an occasional walk for fresh air but otherwise need to stay home. As far as visitors go, he can't be around any children until May (with the exception of his sister, and they said even she has to be showered and in clean clothes before she sees him). We can have limited visitors, but no one can see him if they are sick or have been sick- and everybody gets to scrub up before they come near him. Sounds pretty crazy doesn't it?? But I guess it is a small price to pay for his health. We just have to make it out of this RSV season and we'll be in the clear.

2 comments:

johanna said...

that was neat of you to post that for those who would want to see him but would be afraid to ask. dont ever be afraid of telling people 'no'. they will always understand. his health is always first, no one wants to see him have to go back. so for those like me...not too close to you guys, i anticipate this summer when i get to meet this amazing blessing i've watched for so long.
sorry about the dissapointing news. i had one foot out the door for you guys too. it will come, you guys have been so awesome. i'm sure you've had your moments of anger and sadness and that's ok. i hope he's home sooner rather than later. thanks for all that info. have a great week nicole.
love, johanna

Anonymous said...

well colt is obviosly showing signs he still needs to be surrounded by lots of attention (the hospital staff).ha ha I know it sounds like a bummer to you and a let down but on the bright side he is such a blessing and you'll have him forever. Maybe theyve grown attached and don't wanna let him go. I hope you keep up the blog when you get home, I know it's something a lot of people look forward to, can't wait to see his other milestones. Keep pushing Colt, just a little while longer!